The Baltimore Sun’s founder, Arunah S. Abell purchased the property in 1872 and in 1907 it was sold to the Guilford Park Company who desired to develop the land into an upscale suburban neighborhood on the edge of rapidly growing Baltimore. No expense was spared on the development of the area including the utilities, roads and drains in order to create a destination location for Baltimore’s wealthy residents.
Guilford opened in 1913 and once all home sales were completed, the Guilford Park Company created the Guilford Association in order to ensure the high standards of the area were maintained. This prestigious and historic neighborhood was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2001. Johns Hopkins and Loyola University Maryland border the community.